Saturday, June 8, 2013

TFD responds to a pair of early morning fires.

Incident #1  (Note - these were two unrelated incidents)

Time:  6:19 a.m.
Address:  3701 S. Orchard Street
Response:  Station 2,3,7,8,9,13,16,17
Damage Estimate:  $36,000

:  Firefighters responded to a reported apartment fire. The first arriving company found smoke and flames showing from a third floor apartment in the twelve unit, 11,600 square foot building. Crews mounted an aggressive interior attack, conducted a search to confirm no one was trapped inside, and evacuated occupants in adjacent apartments. The fire was contained to the apartment of origin and the Red Cross was requested to provide relocation assistance to the six occupants displaced in the fire. There were no injuries to report.

The cause of the fire was an unattended candle that ignited nearby drapery, resulting in an estimated $36,000 damage to the building and its contents.


Incident #2

Time:  6:41 a.m.
Address:  1432 E. 29th Street
Response:  Station 1,8,11,12,17
Damage Estimate:  $65,000
Injuries:  Total of 2:  1 patient transported, 1 patient treated and released at the scene

Narrative:  While in-route to TFD's coverage of the Sound to Narrows race, Medical Service Officer Michael Newhouse noticed a large column of smoke showing from the E. Portland Avenue area. MSO Newhouse notified TFD dispatch to send units to that location, and upon arrival he found a fully involved house fire with one injured patient outside the structure. TFD paramedics rushed the patient to an area hospital, while additional crews attacked the well-entrenched fire, removed the heat and smoke through vertical ventilation, and conducted a search of the structure to confirm all occupants were out and accounted for.

The Red Cross was requested to provide relocation assistance to the remaining six adults and one child displaced in the incident.

The cause of the fire is was undetermined, and resulted in an estimated $65,000 dollars damage to the building and its contents. A fire investigator also found there were no working smoke alarms in the residence.